[Linux-aus] Grant Application #2

Kimberly Shelt kim at linmagau.org
Sun May 18 13:27:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 12:42:33PM +0800, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> LinMagAU has published three issues in as many months. This is a remarkable
> achievement, given the short lead up time and current resources. The most
> important resource being that of the contributors, and especially Kim
> herself.

:).. thanks for the kind words.. It is of course all the authors who
finally gave into my nagging that made the issues such a success so far :)

> As suggested by others I consider a review date would be appropriate,
> perhaps at 6 month intervals based on a committment from LA for 1 year. Or,
> 3 month intervals based on a committment from LA for 6 months. If the
> project is a huge success say next month, Kim may not have the resources to
> cope with her new readers (online or paper). Would a review allow Kim to
> request additional grant monies, or would that need to be a new grant
> request?

A review date is a good idea.. as in the original request I mentioned
a period of 3months in which to get a pro-type "newsletter inhouse built"
hard copy, perhaps that in itself is a good time for a first review ?

I am not sure what happens if we don't meet the guidelines on time :)
but I would think that each project(this included) would be reviewed
and discussion between the project lead and LA committee would take
place.. I guess case by case is the way to go now, in the early stages
of this kind of sponsorship by LA:

> My only concern is that it appears that LinMagAU is Kim, and Kim is
> LinMagAU. The "what if" for me, is if Kim becomes unavailable and no longer
> has the time to publish LinMagAU, what happens ?

/me crossed her fingers for a job.. would this be so :).. Seriously this
has concerned me a little too.. I would hope that "when/if" this happens
someone else would step up to the plate and take the bat :)
Time will tell I guess.. I have a list of folks I would hassle tucked away :)

> Perhaps Kim would consider making a first offer to LA if anything was to
> occur such that she could not continue with the publication.

Agreed, LA and (hopefully to come )other sponsors would be the first to know.

> $200/month is a modest request and while I do not feel that it will cover
> all of the real costs described in the grant proposal, this is what Kim has
> proposed and feels will get the LinMagAU project underway.

I discussed this with some of the committee members prior to making the
request, so that I was at least being realistic.. my biggest concern was
(and still is) just covering my out of pocket expenses.. my time comes
free.. although perhaps with all this talk of Incorporation, I might spin
off my own CMS/Media consultancy.. and charge like a wounded bull :)
Naturally I would do another application :):)

In reality, whilst I am unemployed I think this is a valuable way to spend
my time, and so long as my actual costs are covered I am pretty happy..

> All the best

Thanks again for the support Jacqueline & all others.

Kim
--
http://www.linmagau.org