[Linux-aus] SCO suspends it's Linux distribution

Brent Wallis brent.w at infosynergy.com.au
Fri May 16 07:49:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

Les Bell said:
>I know companies who have migrated from SCO unix to Linux
(specifically, Red Hat),
>and I'll bet some of their biggest customers, who were undoubtedly
>considering the same move, have brought forward their planning.

We deal in the SME sector, and have consulted on quite a few jobs in the
last
24 months doing what you describe....
ie: Open Server -> RH Linux, Unixware -> RH Linux

One particular upbeat (for us at least) move from RedHat in the last few
weeks has been the release
of the AS, ES, WS systems set, which has enabled us to approach the core
ISV
we resell an ERP package for, in order to encourage them to support
their product on
Linux. For this particular ISV, the idea of an extended support cycle
has appeal.
The ISV in question are conservative to say the least,and our lobbying
has been long and hard
... we were almost there.....

But the latest SCO move could kill all the hard work. The ISV is already
a little edgy about
the change required, the thought of the platform being subverted (albeit
a distant maybe)
will probably make them wait even longer before committing.
In a tough IT market, who can blame them.

Herein lies the problem for us at least.

Could it be that this move was intended to
scare the ISV sector as well?

If it was, they have damn well gone a long way to achieving it in my
small neck of the planet.
(grr, where did I put my knee pads....;-)
BW