[Linux-aus] Grant Application #2

Dai_Thai NGUYEN dtnguyen at ecr.mu.oz.au
Sun May 18 00:18:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Dai_Thai NGUYEN">
>
> > Do we really need a LA Committee?
>
> As Linux Australia, Inc. is an incorporated association, yes, we do.
>
> > The beauty of Linux is its ability to allow people from any background to
> > be able to contribute is it not?  Having a hierarchal structure hinders
> > this in my opinion.
>
> Why so? Most major Open Source projects have incorporated associations
> backing them up with the 'real world' stuff (ie. money). Debian (SPI),
> Apache (Apache Foundation), GNOME (GNOME Foundation), etc. Generally, these
> organisations are explicitly designed to be independent of development
> issues.
>
> That said, there is a natural heirarchy in most functioning Open Source /
> Free Software projects regardless of legal issues such as incorporation.

I suppose this has something to do with my upbringing. I've never really
trusted beureaucrats/politicians and I doubt that I ever will. Even when I
have been involved in administration/management I've found that internal
bickering between contrasting personalities leads to counter productivity.
Anyway, as long as it works.

> > What would they do anyway?
>
> s/would/do... They carry out the objectives of the organisation:
>
>   http://linux.org.au/org/

That's one heck of a constitution. I saw that members were supposed to
meet regularly. Who would pay for travel?

> > Also, shouldn't there be some sort of democratic vote? How would this
> > work?
> The LA committee is democratically elected as per the constitution.

Could you please tell me who votes for them?