[Linux-aus] Grant Application #2

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Sat May 17 23:52:02 UTC 2003

<quote who="Dai_Thai NGUYEN">

> Do we really need a LA Committee?

As Linux Australia, Inc. is an incorporated association, yes, we do.

> The beauty of Linux is its ability to allow people from any background to
> be able to contribute is it not?  Having a hierarchal structure hinders
> this in my opinion.

Why so? Most major Open Source projects have incorporated associations
backing them up with the 'real world' stuff (ie. money). Debian (SPI),
Apache (Apache Foundation), GNOME (GNOME Foundation), etc. Generally, these
organisations are explicitly designed to be independent of development
issues.

That said, there is a natural heirarchy in most functioning Open Source /
Free Software projects regardless of legal issues such as incorporation.

> What would they do anyway?

s/would/do... They carry out the objectives of the organisation:

  http://linux.org.au/org/

> Also, shouldn't there be some sort of democratic vote? How would this
> work?

The LA committee is democratically elected as per the constitution.

However, don't be under the impression that 'proper' FOSS projects are in
any way democratic. Most are powerfully non-democratic.

- Jeff

--
GU4DEC: June 16th-18th in Dublin, Ireland             http://www.guadec.org/

    "Of course i can see iso-8859-1 characters, I'm French." - Christian
                                  Marillat