[Linux-aus] SCO suspends it's Linux distribution

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat May 17 14:04:01 UTC 2003

On Saturday 17 May 2003 11:33 am, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Friday, 16 May 2003 at 17:29:31 +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 15 May 2003 11:23 pm, Jon maddog Hall wrote:
> >>
> >> No, SunOS was BSD derived.  As part of USL, Scott McNeily agreed to
> >> switch to a System V base for Sun (and call it Solaris).
>
> Well, in fact they adopted the term Solaris at the time.  Solaris 1
> was the complete package round the (BSD-based) SunOS 4 kernel.

Now, if my memory is correct, that was kind of reverse engineered onto SunOS
after Solaris was announced wasn't it ?

Aha - found an official Sun Solaris release history which says that Solaris
1.0 was actually SunOS 4.1.1 Rev. B, a little over a year before Solaris 2.0
was released.

	http://jp.sun.com/software/solaris/history/

SunOS 4.1.1 and previous was just called SunOS.

[...]
> I haven't heard that, but most of the SMP work on SunOS 5 was done by
> Sun, not by AT&T.  It's possible that System V.4 was a better basis to
> start working on.

It looks like that, from the Solaris Transistion Guide at:

	http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/805-3864/6j3lvpage?a=view

   Although  the foundation of the Solaris operating environment is based
   on  SVR4,  Sun  has  added  extensive  functionality  in areas such as
   symmetric  multiprocessing with multithreads, real-time functionality,
   increased security, and improved system administration.

and why it's better than SunOS for SMP

	http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/805-3864/6j3lvpaka?a=view

   Under  the  SunOS release 4.x software, only one processor could be in
   the  kernel  at  any one time. This was accomplished by using a master
   lock  around  the  entire  kernel.  When a processor wanted to execute
   kernel  code,  it  would  acquire the lock (excluding other processors
   from  running the code protected by the lock) and it would release the
   lock when it finished.

   The  Solaris  7  kernel  is multithreaded. Instead of one master lock,
   there are many smaller locks that protect smaller regions of code. For
   example,  there  may  be  a  kernel  lock  that  protects  access to a
   particular  vnode,  and one that protects an inode. Only one processor
   can  be  running  code  dealing with that vnode at a time, but another
   could  be  accessing  an  inode.  This  allows  a  greater  amount  of
   concurrency.

- --
 Chris Samuel  :  http://csamuel.org/  :  Melbourne, VIC

 Need someone with 10 years of Linux, Unix, Networking
   & IT Security skills in Melbourne, VIC ? Email me.