[Linux-aus] Grant Application #2

Kimberly Shelt kim at linmagau.org
Fri May 16 19:01:27 UTC 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 08:42:11PM +1000, Jeremy Lunn wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 06:37:57PM +1000, Kimberly Shelt wrote:
> > Please note:  LinMagAU  NOT linuxmagau :)
>
> Whoops :)

NP :)

> The only problem with this is that if someone for any reason decides to
> sue LinMagAU then the onus falls back on you.  As a result you could
> loose your house or any property.  One way to solve that is with
> incorporation, another way is with insurance (could be costly).
> Alternatively you could probably do it so that LinMagAU becomes part of
> Linux Australia.

Good points :).. although I think my debts outweight my assets right now :)

> Yep, well the only thing with incorporation is that you have to follow
> certain rules and comply with the Act.  Though apart from that it's very
> cheap to do (in Victoria it costs $60 to register which is cheaper than
> registering a business name) and not too hard to do.  The hardest part
> can perhaps be getting the people together, you need at least five
> members (though that may vary from state to state), though usually more
> since in most states the model rules seem to require about six committee
> members.
>
> I'm in the process of setting up an incorporated association so if you
> ever do need any help with that do feel free to ask me (though the laws
> will probably differ in other states).

Excellent.. as in other mail directly to you, Thanks Jeremy, I shall
do some investigation over this side of the country, and get in contact :)

Of course the next thing, is finding the 5/6 folks who might be interested
in being on the exec ?.. Perhaps a LA rep would be great ?

I think we can take this part of the thread off line,
and all those who are interested in assisting, let me know via email :)

Thanks Jeremy.

Regards
Kim
--