[Linux-aus] Spam Happens

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu Mar 13 22:05:02 UTC 2003

<quote who="David Lloyd">

> It sounds like Jeff Waugh knows a little or a lot about this so he may
> already have some easily installed, server-side solutions to the problem.

I've talked with Anand about this stuff before, and I'm pretty sure we're
basically using a similar setup between SLUG and LA. Perhaps some analysis
and tightening of rules would help on the LA box, but that's just a matter
of incremental improvements over time.

We had to do the same thing with the SLUG list back when there were calls to
close it up. Not only do we receive less spam, but we receive fewer
complaints about spam now, and have nourished a culture of productive
feedback to the list admin / committee, rather than joke or flames to the
list in reply to spams that get through.

I will try and catch up with Anand at some stage to share our pre-emptive
anti-spam technologies. :-)

- Jeff

--
      "Trying to get a PC to analyse one of the most abstract forms of
   language - the poem - is like trying to drill for oil with a banana."