[Linux-aus] Spam Happens

Daniel Stone dstone at trinity.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Mar 12 13:47:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:40:45PM +1030, David Lloyd scrawled:
> If that was a reply to me you've broken the thread. I am going to assume
> that it was. I don't suppose you happen to have an answer to my real
> question in [ ] which was basically is there an intellignet, eg Bayesian
> filter thingo, that people have experience with and use on this list.
>
> I happen to get at least 400 e-mails over about 5 hours so no matter
> what I do I tend to get some spam. Spamassassin zaps most of it. The
> only spam I talk about is spam that gets past it.
>
> Seeing that some list administrators won't close the subscription list
> to lists I have to rely on other tools, eg spamassassin, to shunt the
> spam sideways. Which I do...I don't know if my X-Spam-Headers carry
> across a "reply" but I am using it. I'm simply asking for a way to avoid
> the spam on this list seeing that noone else seems to be saying
> something about it (except maybe Bret).

I've been told that spamassassin, in combination with bogofilter, works
really well. This is what forms the core of Debian's 'crossassassin'
system. I have personally used spamassassin for well over a year now
(close on a year and a half, maybe more), and it's been excellent; I was
delighted to see it in operation at work when I got here.

spamassassin assesses each message on its merit, so X-Spam won't
automatically carry across replies.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone at trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne