[Linux-aus] Spam Happens

Tom Swann tom.swann at jcu.edu.au
Wed Mar 12 13:55:02 UTC 2003

Fair crack of the whip fellows.

Nothing is perfect, I work for a university, and we have all manner of anti
spam applications running, and the damn stuff still gets through.

As has already been said by me and others, we all do have the ability to delete.

I'll add that closing the list won't stop the spam, I'll hazard a guess that
some of it is coming from our own members, after all we are working in an
experimental area, and some of our members are somewhat immature. Perhaps some
are experimenting with methods of spoofing, who knows.

As I said in my original post it happens, so what!

I'm glad that I'm not on the executive, if I was I would have lost my cool by
now, and said close the list completely.

At the moment the whinging about spam is worse than the spam itself.

Now on a lighter note, one I have just received, most likely been around for a
while, but new to me:-

It's always difficult to bring sad news, but you should know...
There was a great loss today in the entertainment world. The man who wrote the
song "Hokey Pokey" died. What was really horrible is that they had trouble
keeping the body in the coffin. They'd put his left leg in and ... well, you
know the rest.

Cheers
Tom
--