[Linux-aus] Spam Happens

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Mar 12 13:31:01 UTC 2003

<quote who="Bret Busby">

> I did not realise that the organisation was using such an unwieldy mailing
> list application, that made it so difficult to stop non-subscribers from
> posting to the list.
>
> Perhaps, the mailing list software should be changed, so that, like other
> mailing list software, it is a simple matter of unchecking a particular
> checkbox.

Perhaps, like many other organisations, LA / the list admin doesn't actually
want to do that... But wait -- it's not like you've been patient enough to
wait for a response either way. Might be a good idea to sit back and wait
for that.

> And, as for "the volunteers are not there to worry about anyone else's
> concerns" - as I am not the only one who has called for the prohibition of
> non-subscribers posting to the list, and, as the president (as the
> supposed spokesperson for the organisation) has not posted a response to
> the calls, and as the only apparent committee response has been "Who cares
> about what the people want? Not us.", we are left wondering, once again,
> whose interests the committee serves.

You might like show an ounce of sense and patiently wait for a response,
rather than raising alarm bells every time you don't get what you want (or a
response to your generally over-inflated and inane emails).

Here's two more effective ways of going about getting a reponse than flaming
and raising alarm bells on linux-aus:

  1) Actually mail the administrator of the list directly, and ask politely
  what the list policy is regarding spam and non-member posting.

  2) If you believe that it is of utmost importance that the president of
  the organisation respond to your query, mail the president too. Sounds to
  me like you're over-inflating again -> who flames Linus when there's spam
  on lkml?

I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of your many posts to this list has
been. However, if you have been concentrating solely on establishing your
reputation as a noisy, demanding, self-absorbed whiner, congratulations. You
have achieved that with incredible speed and skill.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
   "There are men with an appetite for fight and a sense of occasion, and
                  then there is Waugh." - SMH, about Steve