[Linux-aus] Spam Happens

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Mar 12 13:18:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:48:05 +1100
> From: Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org>
> To: Linux Australia List <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Spam Happens
>
> <quote who="Bret Busby">
>
> > Due to the lack of response about this, from the committee or the
> > president, it appears that the committee and therefore the organisation,
> > endorses the use of the list for spamming.
>
> > It appears that the official stance is, "Who cares? You are not a
> > committee member, so your opinions do not matter.".
>
> Bret, those are idiotic and argumentative conclusions. Please get a grip,
> and realise that in the case of LA and most other Free Software / volunteer
> projects, people often have a lot on their plate and lives to live.
>
> The volunteers administering the LA machines and running the organisation
> are not there to service your every beck and call.
>
> Please, be reasonable, have patience, the world is not about to end.
>
> - Jeff

I did not realise that the organisation was using such an unwieldy
mailing list application, that made it so difficult to stop
non-subscribers from posting to the list.

Perhaps, the mailing list software should be changed, so that, like
other mailing list software, it is a simple matter of unchecking a
particular checkbox.

And, as for "the volunteers are not there to worry about anyone else's
concerns" - as I am not the only one who has called for the prohibition
of non-subscribers posting to the list, and, as the president (as the
supposed spokesperson for the organisation) has not posted a response to
the calls, and as the only apparent committee response has been "Who
cares about what the people want? Not us.", we are left wondering, once
again, whose interests the committee serves.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."