[Linux-aus] Microsft a Reality? Get Over It?? - A followup

David Ruwoldt david.ruwoldt at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Mar 6 07:56:02 UTC 2003

Dear All,

My two cents.

Microsoft have a marketing machine that is second to none. Novell, Sun,
Digital are good product that have advantages as well and have tried the
"our great product will shine through". All of these companies have good
products that are not selling as well as MS products. In fact in a
number of instances MS products are replacing these products. MS
marketing gets to senior management. Management listen to MS and tell
(read they have right to tell techs, sys admins etc what to do) their
staff to implement a MS solution. This leads to MS marketing listing the
company as a great example of the benefits of their products and the
cycle perpetuates itself. Another company that wants to compete against
MS needs to have a marketing machine that is just as devious and just as
good if they want to start winning serious market share. Linux can be
included in this. Just because it is free does not mean anything in
regard to marketing. People will often pay for a bad solution because
they have comfort that they have spent a lot of money so it must be
good. On the other side people will often go with a free solution
because of cost ("Linux"). The people who go with a free solution need
to be marketed to senior management that the solution is stable and
works. The free solution has to be marketed as a good solid solution to
senior management in companies otherwise it will never be accepted as a
choice by larger companies. Certainly Linux sneaks in because of techs
that run it outside of management's knowledge but until senior
management can start to see it as a choice rather than that free
software it will not gain mainstream acceptance as a solution.

Yours sincerely

David Ruwoldt

--
David Ruwoldt
Team Leader, Operating Systems & Services

and contains information which may be confidential and/or
copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
do not read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents
of this email. If this email has been sent to you in error,
please notify the sender by reply email and delete this
email and any copies or links to this email completely and
immediately from your system.  No representation is made
that this email is free of viruses.  Virus scanning is