[Linux-aus] Re: [CTTE] Re: Reaction: SCO case: Australian LUGs says it's a storm in a teacup

Mary Gardiner mary at slug.org.au
Wed Jun 25 14:29:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003, Sam Varghese wrote:
> On 24 Jun 2003 at 12:09, Jan Schmidt wrote:
>
> > Sam,
> >
> > In your article
> >
> > (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/23/1056220519703.html)
> > , you
> > state that "The Sydney, Canberra and Adelaide user groups did not
> > bother to respond."
>
> An email was sent to president at slug.org.au on Monday, June 16. The
> story ran a week later which I think is enough time for a response.

<snipped Sam's copy of his mail to president at slug.org.au>

Sam,

A few points in response to your mail:

First, the SLUG president, Jeff Waugh, cannot find a copy of your mail.
He has also been overseas for the last fortnight and not in a position
to regularly read his mail. You would have been better off emailing the
entire committee for comment, as was strongly suggested by SLUG's
contact details page.

Second, there remains a vast difference between stating that you did not
receive a reply to your email, and stating that SLUG "did not bother to
respond". The final paragraph of your article is a misrepresentation of
what took place, and unfairly portrays SLUG as having ignored an inquiry
that, in fact, the SLUG committee did not receive.

Yours sincerely,

SLUG Committee