[Linux-aus] Re: [Talk] All your base are belong to SCO (ITHO) (was: the gloves come off)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Wed Jun 18 11:58:02 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, 18 June 2003 at 10:51:00 +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:35, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> An interesting point, though
>> (from David Lloyd): if they revoke licenses, they no longer get
>> license fees.  I can't see them doing too much of it.
>
> Sine they're up to $3G now, and rambling about $50G, and finally thei
> claim to own *all* computer operating systems by right of derivation
> from System V (-: No, really! Stop laughing! Read the Byte article,
> Sontag *says* that! :-) the overt impression they intend to convey
> seems to be that they've found an alternative income stream: standover
> tactics.
>
> http://www.byte.com/documents/s=8276/byt1055784622054/0616_marshall.html

Sontag said a lot of nonsense in that article, or at least he's being
reported as having said it.  Highlights include: SCO owns the
copyright to JFS and NUMA, FreeBSD was derived from System V, and the
UNIX license agreements require giving all derivative code back to
SCO.  This article has raised the farce to a new level.  I've
commented on it at http://www.lemis.com/grog/sco-sontag-16jun2003.html.

Greg