[Linux-aus] Teaching Linux

Pia Smith greebo at pacific.net.au
Thu Jul 31 16:40:01 UTC 2003

Hi all,

Also there is the President of LPI coming to Sydney August
11th/12th/13th for an LPI information seminar and a series of discounted
exams. If you are interested visit:

http://linux.org.au/projects/lpi/

for details. We will soon have a person in Canberra able to proctor
exams locally, rather than having the visit a testing centre, and we'll
let you know names soon. We had limited places available and ended up
getting someone from Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide and Melbourne.

Also...

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 14:49, Daniel McNamara wrote:

> This class has been rather successful and is one of the very few this
> semester that actually is actually full (overall IT enrollments are _way_
> down at the moment). What I would really like to show the students is that
> Linux is very much something that can be used in the real world and as
> such I was thinking of looking into the LPI certification as a starting
> point. I myself got certified as a RHCE a while back and I have been
> looking to other forms of certification that can be as well recognized as
> the various Microsoft ones. Does anyone know the status of getting LPI
> certification in Australia?

That's wonderful about the classes. You should speak to Geoffrey
Robertson about his LPI TAFE course in a Sydney TAFE. He also has an LPI
certification documentation project (http://lcdp.sourceforge.net/) and
an awesome moodle page for LPI training (http://moodle.gonzo.org.au/).
He'd love to hear of other TAFEs doing LPI and Linux courses :)

> The other thing I've been doing it putting together a project, external to
> the CIT, off my own back for CIT students. The eventual idea is they will
> be given the job of putting together and maintaining a Linux network
> running various services particularly aimed at students (web based mail
> system, content management systems) so they can see the skills they've
> been using applied in the real world. I'm sure this sort of thing has been
> done before and I would be really interested if anyone could give me
> pointers on ways to go about setting up systems, locating cheap (or even
> better free) hardware and hopefully even support from companies.

Or alternatively you could source some cheapish hardware, and Linux
Australia may be able to help out with our Grant proposal scheme
(http://linux.org.au/projects/grants/)

Good luck, and I suggest you also subscribe to the ALLIES mailing list.
A mailing list specifically for education and advocacy
(http://lists.linux.org.au/listinfo/allies)

Cheers,
Pia

PS - I've cross-posted this email as I think the LPI event is probably
interesting to all lists. Please do not reply to all.

--
Pia Smith <greebo at pacific.net.au>