[Linux-aus] Teaching Linux

Daniel McNamara daniel at codefish.net.au
Thu Jul 31 12:50:02 UTC 2003

Hi all,

After being a lurker on this list for some time I thought it'd be time to
actually participate. I teach a class called "Linux System Administration"
at the Canberra Institute of Technology (CIT) which is basically just
Canberra's version of TAFE.

This class has been rather successful and is one of the very few this
semester that actually is actually full (overall IT enrollments are _way_
down at the moment). What I would really like to show the students is that
Linux is very much something that can be used in the real world and as
such I was thinking of looking into the LPI certification as a starting
point. I myself got certified as a RHCE a while back and I have been
looking to other forms of certification that can be as well recognized as
the various Microsoft ones. Does anyone know the status of getting LPI
certification in Australia?

The other thing I've been doing it putting together a project, external to
the CIT, off my own back for CIT students. The eventual idea is they will
be given the job of putting together and maintaining a Linux network
running various services particularly aimed at students (web based mail
system, content management systems) so they can see the skills they've
been using applied in the real world. I'm sure this sort of thing has been
done before and I would be really interested if anyone could give me
pointers on ways to go about setting up systems, locating cheap (or even
better free) hardware and hopefully even support from companies.

Any information or leads on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Daniel

           Sent from Code Fish Web Mail
           Code Fish - Fishing for clues