[Linux-aus] Has M$ bought off the SA Govt ?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Jul 15 19:55:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 12:53:05PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> I think the politicians often take their eye off the ball in terms of
> who's making the choices which are in such deep contention.

I don't think it's worth getting that worked up over this -- free
software can compete on features; all we need to ensure is that we get
rid of policies that make it impossible to use free software, not to
make policies that make it impossible to use proprietary software.

For the things we're good at we can compete on price, on control and
access, and on features, mostly in ways that proprietary software has
*absolutely no possibility* of equalling, let alone beating.

And until we have a an open source accountancy programme that kicks the
pants of Quicken and MYOB, it's completely accurate to say things like
"Our research to date shows that generally, open source software is
not yet seen by the marketplace to be suitable for fundamental business
functions".

Going on the attack with protectionist laws is probably a good way
of ensuring that the other side stays on the defensive, thus keeping
the playing field reasonably level, but it'd be a shame if they started
working and we began relying on politics and lobbyists instead of hacking
and grass roots support.

Cheers,
aj

       ``Is this some kind of psych test?