[Linux-aus] SMH and The Age :)

Brent Wallis brent.w at infosynergy.com.au
Tue Feb 25 20:41:01 UTC 2003

LEON!
Please!...no more....! :)

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 07:51 pm, Tony Nugent wrote:
> Microsoft softens stance
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/24/1046063956552.html
>   ("Microsoft and Linux evangelists called a truce in the
>   open-source war last week for a seminar examining the use of open
>   source by government agencies.")

Bollocks. Microsoft think of .NET as being an open standard; they're
just
publishing officially good vibes and hoping everyone comes to their
party.
The headline should read "Microsoft softens journo's head".

*giggle*

> Microsoft tool to help plug information leaks
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/24/1045935321595.html
>   ("Microsoft Corp is planning to release technology that can be
>   used to control access to content.  A media release said beta code
>   for Windows Rights Management Services (RMS), a new technology for
>   Windows Server 2003, would be 'broadly available in the second
>   quarter of 2003.'")

Another misleading headline, should say: `Microsoft releases tool to
take away
user rights' and be subheaded `Runs on Windows only, no source
available'.

*snark*.....*druffle*...*splotch*

Damn it Leon, more coffee on my keyboard....;-)

On a serious note though:
Hope everyone realises that these are a journo's "Easy" pieces, they are
press
releases written by the subjectee's(sic),that are well written in order
to allow the journo to
point n drool, cut n pastich...with a few of their own verbs thrown in.

Remember the "MAC user" who dropped it for XP and wrote about it?

Our press in this country is
definitely not above doing this....

I don't have a dead tree copy, but I'll bet there are a few MS adds in
the SMH this week!

This is a very common PR tool used by Spin Docs for Pollies and
Corporates alike. Note also that
many "letters to the editor" are nothing more than "hand-written" pieces
handed out by PR
people to a group that is supportive of their objective.

Just a heads up...and it's late :)

And congrats to out new online mag "linaumag", lets hope you "keep it
real" as my daughter always bleats...:)

BW