[Linux-aus] The Linux Uprising

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sun Feb 23 12:33:02 UTC 2003

On Sunday 23 February 2003 06:17 am, Con Zymaris wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 03:05:28AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> Pecked by Penguins
>> So far, Microsoft's attempts to counter the Linux threat have come up
>> short

> For those who aren't interested in reading through all these piece, I
> excerpted perhaps the most important new piece of information below. In
> essence, it shows that the recent IDC TCO report is a fraud.

    When asked if he was sure of the pronunciation, Ballmer quipped:
    "There is no financial incentive to answering that question."
    Translation: Linux is just a pipsqueak that isn't worth our time.

An aside: that doesn't need translating, it does just fine as it is. It marks
one of the key differences between FOSS (including Linux, if I'm going to be
warlorded) and proprietary software.

I'll be dealing with that in a new article shortly. Dealing with it very
positively, I might add.

> http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_09/b3822610_tc102.htm

> One of the study's authors accuses Microsoft of stacking the deck.

Sun rises, tides move, Microsoft slants tests/data/reporting, it's almost de
rigeur now. I can imagine the headline: `Microsoft tells whole truth
(especially the bit about the frogs), 42,000 technicians hospitalised for
shock in State of New York alone.'

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA