[Linux-aus] Microsoft in big poo in court and with US SEC

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sun Feb 23 12:20:01 UTC 2003

On Sunday 23 February 2003 02:44 am, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Leon Brooks">
>> Not antitrust this time, just malicious stupidity and some knock-on
>> effects:

>> "SQL Server developers face huge royalty bills. How many, how much?"

> It would be really cool if anything remotely approaching negative advocacy
> were off-topic for this list.

It's positive advocacy. Our SQL database has been carefully kept free of
patented algorithms, never has had them, never will, and this is why.

It's also a warning: now would be a good time to bone up on your knowledge of
a few good FOSS databases (I recommend PostgreSQL or Firebird; SAP DB can
also be useful for big stuff, MySQL for uncomplicated stuff), because some of
us are going to get asked about them on Monday morning after certain bosses
have osmosed their breakfast headlines. I will help to be able to say what
they're capable of - or not - and what they will run on. And what they will
cost, given that the `O' word is bound to be raised.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia