[Linux-aus] Re:[Linux-aus]job database

Terry Dawson terry at animats.net
Wed Feb 19 20:10:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 00:11, Kimberley wrote:

> I am not sure I understand your point ?

I'm not surprised, I lost it by about my second paragraph. I shoudn't respond
to mail before I've woken up :) My apologies, I'll try to be clearer this
time.

> Eg.. there are sites.. they do have a apparent ability to attract
> companies advertising jobs, and that perhaps LA could take advantage
> of the already huge dbs out there with a little coding ?

I think my point was that trying to scrape jobs of other sites was not a good
option, it'd be technically challenging to automate effectively and a lot of
work to do manually. On the other hand, I think that simply inviting
recruiting agencies, who run the other sites, to submit their jobs on the LA
database would be effective, it's in their interest to do so.

> Again great..but can you give details of jobs in the db in 2002 or 2003 ?
> More recent figures would be good to those of us looking for work :)

My figures covered the 2003/2003 period.
The exact numbers are:

+---------------+----------------------+
| year(expires) | count(year(expires)) |
|          1998 |                   13 |
|          1999 |                   78 |
|          2000 |                  133 |
|          2001 |                   92 |
|          2002 |                   43 |
|          2003 |                    7 |

The flavour of the jobs advertised changed over time, as I described in my