[Linux-aus] Funding a real job database

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Wed Feb 19 18:12:01 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 04:49 pm, Anand Kumria wrote:
> Hmm, so you are suggesting that LA change from a small group of people
> into a 400-strong organisation with premises and an employee.

No premises, part-time employee.

> Personally I think that is an extremely large transition to make -
> especially since very basic matters; such as accepting new members are
> yet to be addressed adequately.

If we don't do stuff in parallel we will still be fluffing around when they
plonk a space elevator down on the other side of Rottnest. (-:

>> And what should we offer employers (nominally for their money, but this
>> applies even if we offer the service for free)? I'd suggest four levels
>> of validity: none, scan-of-dox sighted, real dox sighted, and document
>> background verified (e.g. by 'phone call to organisation originating
>> document). This would allow the employer to select a risk level at which
>> to operate, and it seems reasonable to me to charge employees/contractors
>> a moderate amount of money to sight (and scan, and maybe follow up)
>> identity and award documents.

> It isn't clear to me what documents you particularly have in mind that
> would need to be sighted.

Sighting personal ID, paper certification (especially when they can't be
checked on line), contacting references and validating them to some extent.
Not all `employers' will need that level of detail, not all `employees' could
be bothered submitting it. But some of each will, if the opportunity is
there.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA