[Linux-aus] Re:[Linux-aus]job database

Kimberly Shelt kim at linmagau.org
Sun Feb 16 11:45:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 12:30:18PM +1100, Brent Wallis wrote:
> I notice that the discussion so far has been focussed on external sites that seem more suited to the task, yet others have rightly pointed out the severe "lack" of jobs on offer.

Thinking from another side then..
There are many external sites already handling job search db's..
Companies are more likely to position thier advs within existing
"well known" sites to get better coverage or perhaps they already have an
agreement with some of thses ?
Most of these sites allow free access searching

What if??
LA creates some kind of web crawler type code, to gather all adverts
from these "well known" sites (where reference to Linux is found) and
dumps that into the LA Job pages each day ?

Another alternative is perhaps to join all the sites, and
opt in for the spam mail they send, based on *nix search strings and
then simply drop the incoming email results into the pages in some
munged format ?

Another 2 cents worth :)

Kim