[Linux-aus] spam on the list

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Feb 13 17:11:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Anand Kumria wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 09:16:28PM +1000, Tony Nugent wrote:
> > Oh dear, it's happening here again :-(
> >
> > It seems that the aus-linux lists need spam/virus filtering, and a
> > restriction to subscribers-only for being able to post to them.
> >

> > Who's in a position to be able to do that?
>
> I am - however I recently re-enabled non-subscriber posting to
> linux-aus. I'm aware of the spamassassin problem; I am looking (yet
> again) into why it isn't hooked up properly with mailman.
>
> However I re-enabled non-subscriber posting since we had a large number
> of non-subscribers posting -- I didn't want to be a bottleneck due to
> moderation requirements.
>
> > Also: if this is majordomo, I've recently seen some messages in
> > bugtraq about vulnerabilities in it that allow anyone to easily
> > obtain all the subscriber lists.
>
> The web pages are (very) out of date in that regard. We switched over to
> using mailman some number of months ago. However I've almost finished my
> majordomo frontend to mailman -- necessary for another site I look after
> -- so that will shortly work once again.
>
> Thanks,
> Anand

I got another spam today, about the Shezen Sh*t.

I noticed that the second and third Shezen Sh*t messages were 40K.

Lists that I administer, allow for setting maximum message size.

Perhaps, setting maximum message size of 10K, could eliminate those
messages, at least.

10K appears to be a good maximum message size, and, it encourages
pruning and prudent posting.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale