[Linux-aus] spam and only-subscribers-can-post list restrictions

Anand Kumria akumria at linux.org.au
Tue Feb 11 08:17:01 UTC 2003

Hi Tony,

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 09:16:28PM +1000, Tony Nugent wrote:
> Oh dear, it's happening here again :-(
>
> It seems that the aus-linux lists need spam/virus filtering, and a
> restriction to subscribers-only for being able to post to them.
>

> Who's in a position to be able to do that?

I am - however I recently re-enabled non-subscriber posting to
linux-aus. I'm aware of the spamassassin problem; I am looking (yet
again) into why it isn't hooked up properly with mailman.

However I re-enabled non-subscriber posting since we had a large number
of non-subscribers posting -- I didn't want to be a bottleneck due to
moderation requirements.

> Also: if this is majordomo, I've recently seen some messages in
> bugtraq about vulnerabilities in it that allow anyone to easily
> obtain all the subscriber lists.

The web pages are (very) out of date in that regard. We switched over to
using mailman some number of months ago. However I've almost finished my
majordomo frontend to mailman -- necessary for another site I look after
-- so that will shortly work once again.

Thanks,
Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never