[Linux-aus] LA in Brazilian news (thanks Enrico Zini)

Rick Marshall rjm at zenucom.com
Mon Feb 10 05:13:02 UTC 2003

i think the australian experience is changing - fast. more women than
ever are succeeding at maths and science (and the men are decreasing in
ability and interest) so it's only a matter of time until women dominate
many "male" professions, including IT.

but then i don't care who "dominates", only that industry and
professional bodies like this represent the interests of the members and
the community in which they serve. this means making sure everyone feels
welcome to participate and contribute.

rick

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 07:30, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 10:18:06AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> >http://www.softwarelivre.rs.gov.br/index.php?menu=mais_noticias2&cod=1044489042&tab=1
> >[...] For Smith, the technology industry still very is dominated by the men but
> >"because it has sexism but does not only have enough women in YOU".
>
> >I think that last sentence in particular could do with a bit of polishing...
>
> "It's [the IT industry] quite male-dominated, Smith said.  I think it
> isn't that people are sexist in IT, it is just because not that many
> females are getting into IT".
>   -- http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/os/story/0,2000024997,20271565,00.htm
>
> I suspect that acronyms don't fare well in the translation process.
>
> --bod
Rick Marshall <rjm at zenucom.com>
Zenucom Pty Ltd