[Linux-aus] Two conf's

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sat Feb 8 18:38:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 06:37:41PM +1030, David Lloyd wrote:
> > > Except BSD people feel slightly left out of a LINUX Conference in
> > > Australia.
> > Fair enough, although that needn't remain the case. If you ignore the
> > names, and look at the programme instead, we had:
> Ignoring the names is a little pointless, don't we think?

Well, you go to a conference for the content, not the name; so if the
name's the biggest sticking point...

> > 	all of the mini-confs being applicable for BSD folks (education,
> > 	ipv6, and games; and even Debian is trying for BSD variants)
> Excepting it called itself educationaLinux.

Point taken, but I doubt there was too much in-depth kernel hackery
going on, eg.

> > Now, on the other hand there wasn't _any_ BSD specific content, but it
> > should be possible to add some without particularly harming the
> > conference as far as Linux bigots like myself are concerned...
> Is there a suggestion that the conference should become an Open Source
> Conference (Open Source Conference Australia)?

I'm happy to suggest it. It'd need a much less sucky name than that though
(AusHack? unixdev.conf.au? fundev.conf.au (Free UNix Developers)? I've
no idea), and interest and support from the l.c.a organisers, and LA,
and AUUG, and BSD folks, and whoever else, so I can't see it happening
overnight. But I'm all for inclusiveness and mutual support and
cross-pollination, if that's not already blatantly obvious by now.

Ensuring there's a good mix of stuff that's of broad interest (and BSD
specific stuff can be good for Linux people if the concepts cross over
anyway, and vice-versa), and stuff that's deep and interesting enough
to go over everyone's heads might be tricky though, and might require
a couple of years of experimentation to get down pat.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''