[Linux-aus] Two conf's

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sat Feb 8 13:41:33 UTC 2003

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 12:59:36AM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> *Option 6*  Do nothing about a user conf.
> Pros:  No extra work to do.
> --------------------

*Option 6*  Co-opt / work with / cross-pollinate other conferences

Make, eg, the AUUG annual conference be the "user" conference (it already
has a much stronger tutorial stream, which would seem key for a user con,
and its CFP seems to be more focussed on what I'd call "user issues").

Pro:
  no extra work (someone's already organising those conferences anyway)
  a chance to work with the AUUG guys more regularly, conferences can be
    cross-promoted, more good will in general
  less conflict: l.c.a is the premier developers con, AUUG has the premier
    users con
  AUUG can probably cope with much bigger conferences than LA can, and a
    user con has the potential to be bigger than a bunch of volunteers from
    a LUG can handle
Con:
  politics? maybe AUUG want the developers conference (AOSS?)? maybe we want
    a *Linux* user con, not a Unix/Open systems user con?

(We're free software hackers, we don't have to do everything ourselves)

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''