[Linux-aus] Country-wide communication

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Fri Feb 7 11:37:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 05:56:50AM +1100, Pia Smith wrote:
> We have been speaking about this, and had decided we wanted to make an
> online system for voting. What you've detailed here pretty muchs sums it
> up. If anyone knows of a good backend to this please let me know, as a
> major web site reconstruction is currently being planned.

Debian does preferential voting by email, authenticated with PGP
signatures. Voting is generally not anonymous, but that's probably not
an issue for LA anyway. Manoj Srivastava <srivasta at debian.org> is the
project secretary and maintains the scripts. With non-anonymous voting,
you can more-or-less verify the results independently of a trusted third
party anyway, by publishing the list of all ballots cast. This is similar
to votes held by show of hands, where everyone can just look around and
see who's voting for who, and verify the vote-taker's counts.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''