[Linux-aus] LA GST, and a TODO list for helpers

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Wed Feb 5 05:40:02 UTC 2003

Leon Brooks <leon at cyberknights.com.au> wrote:

* You could promote Linux by example; hold an open house every so
   often to show off your machine and talents to other locals, show
   them how easy and reliable it all is.
<<

I've done a number ot talks in the last six months on "Free and Open-Source
Software" for senior citizens' computing clubs (all members of the
Australian Seniors Computer Clubs Association -
http://www.seniorcomputing.org/ ). The folks who attended showed a lot of
interest in both Linux and Open Office, and some were already running
Linux. Slides are online at http://www.lesbell.com.au/slides/osfs/, but the
talk itself is mostly non-technical and based on a demonstration.

These seniors computer clubs are *extremely* well organized - they run
their own training classes, offer peer support, etc. At one meeting, I was
somewhat disconcerted to hear a report that "their grant application to
Microsoft had been successful" and they had now received $10,000 of goodies
- mostly copies of Windows XP and Office XP which will cost Microsoft next
to nothing internally. Determined to take the shine off Microsoft's attempt
to buy their loyalty, I declared, "I can beat that - free copies of Open
Office for everyone!", and left them some Open Office CD's to be passed
around and copied. . . <grin>

Seriously, if the various LUGs offer local speakers to these clubs, you
will make good friends and have a great Linux advocacy opportunity.

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]