[Linux-aus] Finances

Anand Kumria akumria at linux.org.au
Tue Feb 4 13:57:17 UTC 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 01:37:49PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Anand Kumria wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:11:06 +1100
> > From: Anand Kumria <akumria at linux.org.au>
> > To: Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au>
> > Cc: linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au, treasurer at conf.linux.org.au
> > Subject: Linux Australia was: [Linux-aus] Linux Australia AGM Held (fwd)
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 01:57:17PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > >
> > > ObOnTopic: I'd like to again request an explanation of LA's liabilities,
> > > said to be on the order of $40,000.
> > >

> > Sorry, I must have missed that request.
> >
> > Currently reimbursements to some speakers are still outstanding (~5000). Morning
> > tea at the conference is on the order of $13000 and the rest is taken up with the
> > conference dinner. There are some ancillary costs too (extra t-shirts
> > being printed, etc.) too. Those are the big three though.
> >
> > I don't have exact figures because Mark Tearle -- LCA Treasurer -- has
> > been handling all this very elegantly for me.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Anand
> >

> Does that impact on the statement that the conference made a profit?

No, it still made a profit.

> Would the finances of the conference (liquid assets, current
> liabilities, revenue, etc) not be better separated from the overall
> finances of the organisation

Certainly we account for that internally. In fact Mark is the treasurer
for the conference. Completely distinct to me being treasurer for LA.

> , as an item, or perhaps two (eg, Conference
> 2003 - surplus deficit, and, I can' think of the name, but, the
> difference between assets and liabilities, as a similar line item,
> specific to the conference), for simplicity?

Conference: expenditure
Conference: revenue

is what we tend to use. At the moment the vast bulk of LA revenue is
conference related (just recently we sold some t-shirts directly)
so it hasn't been necessary to account for them seperately.

Switching over to having to account for the GST will require some more
thought on how the chart of accounts should be setup though.

Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never