[Linux-aus] Linux Australia AGM Held

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sun Feb 2 23:55:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 01:48:45AM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 11:06:07PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Is having no one from Queensland on the
> > Linux Australia board "adequately representing the needs of people"
> > in Queensland?
> Since Linux Australia isn't designed to represent the needs of people in
> Queensland, the answer is yes.

So people in Queensland aren't members of the Australian Linux community?

Or is "The Linux Organisation of Australia was founded to cater
specifically to the needs of the Australian Linux community." outdated
and misleading?

> > but the lack of broad-based national participation in
> > Linux Australia is its most serious flaw
> Why so? I'm yet to hear a good case for it. Particularly as Linux
> Australia isn't designed to represent regional interestes.

Outside of Sydney, "regional interests" does not usually refer to everywhere
outside of Sydney.

In any event, are "regional" folks also not members of the Australian Linux
community?

You're arguing the wrong point, btw. Linux Australia _is_ there to
represent the needs and desires of all Australian Linux users, even the
ones in Queensland. The question is whether people from Sydney can do
that as well as people from Brisbane; and what is the best structure for
Linux Australia to properly deal with all the issues across the nation.

There's probably no chance of that question being resolved in this thread;
but it is an important question and it's not necessarily the worst idea
in the world to have the committee itself be more representative.

Cheers,
aj

    ``Australian Linux Lovefest Heads West''
                   -- linux.conf.au, Perth W.A., 22nd-25th January 2003