[Linux-aus] NZ firm puts Linux on desktops

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Aug 26 08:51:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:24, Con Zymaris wrote:
> This may be an effective approach, but it's counter-intuitive enough
> as an idea to hit some real 'drag' when it comes time to convincing
> CIOs that their users would be better off migrating to a new desktop
> which was intentionally 'different' to their last one. Many IT execs
> are conservative enough to suggest they might only consider migrating
> to Linux if it was made to look identical to what their users
> expected.

Agree, although I can see both sides have an excellent argument to make.
Kim Perkins' school left them all on there and let the girls choose.
Most stayed with KDE, many migrated to GNOME, but *all* WMs were
adopted by at least a few students.

> One advantage we do have in trying to make this pitch, is that with
> the various front-ends which we have available on Linux, it is
> possible to use them all to interest different firms, much like using
> different baits effective in catching differing fish.

Agree.

> Some CIOs may be swayed by the thoughtful but counter-intuitive GNOME
> argument, others may want to hang out for the fruition of that Win2k
> desktop-shell clone which is under development for Linux

Or XPDE?

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA