[Linux-aus] Re: [Talk] Computerworld: Linux 'not ready' for enterprise IT

Ben Elliston bje+dated+1061086564.e0c207 at air.net.au
Tue Aug 12 10:21:02 UTC 2003

> Actually, I interpreted this as being because the commercial
> software vendors (eg., Oracle, etc.) don't keep up with latest
> advances in the underlying operating system (the kernel being an
> easy target here), he's stuck running older versions of Linux in
> order to support those applications.

If the whole thing were better designed, keeping up with the latest
advances in the kernel would be optional, not mandatory.

In my experience, many of these contraints are only put in place by
vendors in order to minimise their support burden and risk (ie. "We
will only support our product on Linux kernel <foo> with glibc version
<bar>").

Now, in actual fact, we all know that there are other configurations
which would work equally well, but customers can't afford to go
getting themselves into a configuration that strips them of support.
Come to think of it, now I can see why some sites are forced into the
bizarre situation of one host per application!

Ben