[Linux-aus] Computerworld: Linux 'not ready' for enterprise IT

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Aug 12 09:33:16 UTC 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:10, Con Zymaris wrote:
> Let's follow the logic:
>
>  Andrew Whyte, corporate systems administrator at Central Queensland
>  University (CQU), said Linux is not ready to run high-end systems
>  because of the lack of vendor support and frequent kernel updates.
>  "Our experience with Linux was problematic due to the lack of vendor
>  software updates," Whyte said. "We are missing out on the latest
>  Linux features because the commercial software we are using can't
>  keep up with the kernel development. Hence, we are locked in to
>  older versions."

> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=507195642&fp=16&fpid=0

Sounds like his beef is with the vendor, not with the OS.

One has to wonder what sort of apps he's using that are so closely bound
to exact kernel versions. Also, the "two weeks vs two days" argument
makes me wonder just how large a cluster he's using. On identical
machines, rolling out fifty in two days should be no problem at all.
Plug in, power up, watch for smoke while it netboots and maybe
self-installs, next.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA