[Linux-aus] Computerworld: Linux 'not ready' for enterprise IT

David Lloyd dlloyd at microbits.com.au
Tue Aug 12 09:29:02 UTC 2003

Con,

> So, what Andrew Whyte is saying is that because vendors (Sun, Oracle, IBM
> etc.) can't keep up with advancements with the Linux kernel, then Linux
> isn't ready for the enterprise.
>
> Makes sense? I think not.

Yes, how postively stupid. It sounds like someone who hasn't got the
faintest idea of how to administer a Linux operating system. One doesn't go
around installing new kernels *because one can*.

I suspect that this goes the same for all of the Unixes.

> If Linux has the features you want, here and now, and your enterprise
> software vendor supports those features on Linux, then what's the problem?

LOL

Maybe the problem is that when a new feature comes out (in the kernel or in
userland) the system administrators might need to *think* about whether it's
appropriate to include. Shock, horror! They might need to do some work...

:(

--
Microbits Linux Technician
 +61 8 8362 9220