[Linux-aus] Legal Eagle question

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Aug 11 15:23:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:59, David Lloyd wrote:
> Couldn't the courts also award legal costs to IBM if it is proven
> that the court case was, what's the right word:

>   * pernicious?
>   * not made seriously?
>   * [I can't think of the word]

IIRC, "frivolous" is the correct general term, and "vexatious" is the
term used for doing it frequently. It's very hard to prove
vexatiousness in Oz, things might not be the same in Yankeeland.

> ..i.e. such a stupid case that it shouldn't have been bought up by a
> reasonable lawyer?

But for a few obvious exceptions (Jeremy Malcolm, and a Family Court
lawyer called Penelope Keeley from Clairs Keeley come to mind), I'd be
tempted to consider that term to be an oxymoron. (-:

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia