[Linux-aus] FWD: [osv-list] Funniest thing I've seen in a long time (SCO claim)

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Mon Aug 11 08:31:02 UTC 2003

This could be very interesting. i thank Brendan for the tip-off.

In essence:

 I have the two letters now, which were faxed to me, both of them from
 Jack Messmen, CEO of Novell, to Darl McBride of SCO.  What they say is
 that SCO has no contractual right to terminate IBM's AIX license,
 because, as earlier reported, it was a three-way contract, and one under
 which Novell retained the right to compel SCO to do pretty much whatever
 Novell wanted done respecting IBM's license rights.  According to
 these letters, Novell told SCO not to terminate IBM's rights, and
 when SCO didn't comply, on June 12, Novell intervened and overruled
 SCO, which Novell says it had retained the right to do when it sold
 some, but not all, of its UNIX ownership rights.  In other words,
 while SCO got some rights to UNIX, Novell retained veto power.

----- Forwarded message from Brendan Scott <brendanscott at optusnet.com.au> -----