[Linux-aus] Linux Magazine (http://linmagau.org/)

Kimberly Shelt misskim at verge.net.au
Thu Apr 17 10:56:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 12:19:43AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Okay. :-)
>
> I'm not sure that a Linux magazine with 'the community' as its primary
> target audience will be successful in print, *if* we're talking about
> standard newsagent distribution, etc. There are other models that might work
> for something like that, such as a membership journal (AUUG does this).

> Is 'the community' the intended target audience for linmagau? Is there a
> better target audience that can support the magazine (in print or not)?

I define "the community" as any folks involved in or interested in *nix.
Some are LUG members, some are business folk, some in education, some
just hacking about on boxen at home.

So yes I believe a magazine targetted at "that" community would be
successful in print via the newsagent, there is still a severe
bandwidth issue for many and hard copy still sells..

The survey on the site back in the first edition showed many folks
purchase the overseas Linux mags coming into the country the issue was
and still is, could we make something similar here, promoting the
local folks and their endeavours.

A membership journal is also a valid way to go, and is an option.

PROS/CONS
Hard copy at a newsagent is bought by people, usually after flicking
through and deciding it is good value for money.

Membership journals/subcriptions, generally require committment
by folks prior to actually seeing content.. ie join up and get this
great journal each month..

I think (call me niave) that in order for this to work, some amount
of "freebie content" see what we can do is necessary..

The magazine has only run 2 editions, so it is early days as yet..
Would you Jeff, join up and pay $dollars, already?
Sorry not to put you on the spot..the question is to all readers?
If so.. how much..
In not.. why not..

>What are your goals?

John Knight was the person who originally came up with this idea..
so he perhaps should answer some of these questions with his thoughts..

Mine (and I speak personally here) was to create a forum
(online or hardcopy).. where Australian folks who are part of the
"afore defined" community could have a voice, find out more about
others in their relevant fields, share, participate, advertise,
get help, give help..

and for those who are yet to join the community, the goal was to
get them too :).. ie.. further awareness of *nix/OSS.

Whilst I was overseas, many folks I met had high opinions of .au
tech folk, I thought it might be a good idea to highlight them.

> Sorry to start with the big questions. ;-)

Big questions are best :)

Regards
Kim
--