[Linux-aus] Flamage - linmagau.org - long

Kimberly Shelt misskim at verge.net.au
Tue Apr 8 08:29:18 UTC 2003

Greetings all, I thought my response to the following mail should
perhaps come to this list and hopefully this will help "make it clear"
to anyone who is on the LUV list, or other random lists where folks
seem more inclind to winge in the back room,
rather than bring it to me directly.

As some of you may know the linmagau.org site was down during the last
weekend.. due to technical issues of the service provider..

The machine is part of a network with nodes in various countries
(all details can be found on the www.vergenet.net site)
Vergenet hosts the magazine for very little money each month and is
basically around to assist me often when I have problems with code
etc..

During the weekend whilst the admins tried to recover the machine,
I re-wrote the entire magazine in a new format.. for a couple of
reasons..

a) The first site was defaced by some idiots
(and thus I felt it was a good chance the machine crash could have
been related) so I looked around for a more secure blog..
Sadly PostNuke is not yet up to an easy GIU conversion from the
Nuke Ver the mag is running, and due to a total difference in
the db structure, and perhaps my inability to munge the db manually
I decided to go with a temporary fix..  I chose what was on the
site that caused the slamming message below.. (this is gone now)

b)  I thought this might be a good opportunity to move the magazine
contents and membership to seperate zones in the vain hope we might
one day be able to offer members something for being supportive
in the early days..

Obviously the choice of the fronting magazine format was a bad one,
thanks for pointing that out George, however it would have been a
whole lot more constructive if you had just written to me and
made some positive suggestions

Regards hardcopy.. currently I am the only one working on the
backend so to speak, (with the exception of Indy and the admins at
Verge)..without tooting my own horn too much, this little
endeavour has taken almost 8hours a day since it began..
I am happy to put in the time.. but as I am unemployed I do not
have the capital to launch hard copy..

As to the article authors it is their hard work that has made
the magazine , they know who they are and it is their
commitment to this project that has kept it afloat so far.
I thank them here publically although already have privately.

The orignal plan, which was posted in various lists, and on the site
since inception, was to run online and hopefully with support
and continuing interest a sponsor would step forward to assist..
This has not happened as yet, so we continue online.

So to answer Georges mail..
I have moved the site back to the original format.
the second edition is filled with great articles..

So far we have little to nothing for the third article and
frankly comments like yours George, disappoint me greatly,
it would be far more helpful if you wrote an article perhaps
"How to make great web pages that do run in lynx"

Thanks for time everyone.. any questions, return flamage etc
please direct them to me personally, rather than clutter the list..

Kimberly Shelt
--
*@linmagau.org