[Linux-aus] Discussion Starter

Pia Smith greebo at pacific.net.au
Tue Apr 1 16:52:02 UTC 2003

Hi David,

I actually quite like this idea.

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 11:59, David Lloyd wrote:

> Alternatively we could have a more public, but less chatty process. How
> about:
>
>  * A person/group approaches the committee
>  * Committee discuss
>  * Committee minutes say something like:
>
> Approached by X for Y
> Approved/Not Approved pending member comments
>
>  * Committee ratifies member's decision at next meeting

And when the committee posts it to linux-aus there is a set time of two
weeks (until the next committee meeting) for people to agree disagree
which stops applications being held too much.

> Obviously this puts a delay of about a month in the process. That needs
> to be taken into consideration. The members could agree that if the
> sponsorship is less than $500 [and it's not obviously 4 requests of $500
> from a single organisation to avoid the members] then the committee can
> make the decision.

I'd rather keep more rather than less applications in the open. Maybe
make the amount $100 and these requests we report on to the membership,
and if there is anything 'wrong' with these ones then we are only losing
a smidgen of money :) If this over a period of time isn't seen to work
we can run all applications by the membership.

> That's how a lot of organisations I've worked with function. The members
> don't want to be bothered with spending the $20 on stamps, $50 for the
> new staff member's stationery and so forth so they say "Up to an amount
> (eg $500 or $5000 depending on the organisation) then the
> committee/admin can spend it as though it were petty cash and provide a
> [quarterly/monthly/yearly/some regular period] summary report"...

We won't really have many costs so I think the min $100 is a good idea.

Keep the ideas coming :)

Pia