[Linux-aus] Hiya

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Dec 12 17:09:01 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Brendan O'Dea wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:35:18 +1100
> From: Brendan O'Dea <bod at debian.org>
> To: linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Hiya
>
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 02:18:35PM +1100, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> >So, as Anand suggested months ago, I finally got around to
> >subscribing...
> >
> >Who's listening on this list, anyway?
>
> You can view the subscriber list[0] if you're really curious.
>
> This is generally a fairly low-traffic list.  Take a peek into the
> archives[1] for a sample.

> [1] http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus
>
> --bod

I have two problems with that information being so available.

The first, is that publishing the email addresses of subscribers, is an
invasion of the privacy of the subscribers to the list. I, for one, was
not aware that anyone other than the list administrators, would have
access to a list of subscribers to the list.

The publishing of the first web page URL above, and the information on
the first web page of the URL above, allowing any person to subscribe to
the list and then download a list of subscribers, is not what I regard
as good faith administration.

Apart from the privacy violation, another issue, is one that results
from that privacy violation; by allowing the process to occurr, where
anyone other than the list administrators has access to the list of
subscribers to the list, the process is a clear approval of spamming,
which is one of the results of publishing such information.

Whilst the open source movement, and Linux, are supposed to involve a
certain rebel elemnt, the violation of list subscribers' privacy, and,
the clear approval of spamming, resulting from that policy, apart from
the spamming that occurs via the list, are not what I regard as
consistent with the respect for people, that I personally would have
attributed to the open source movement, which (supposedly), was
(emphasised, was, until this) supposed to be about protecting the
interests of the little people.

Thus, I am thoroughly disheartened with this revelation of impropriety
by the list.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988