[Lias] LTSP and printing to Windows printer

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Fri Mar 19 07:20:01 UTC 2004

Andrew Dorrell said:
> Simon Bryan wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Is anyone using an LTSP server and printing to a Windows printer?
>> All our printers are shared from a W2000 computer and monitored with PControl.
>>
>> I can't seem to find any instructiosn on how to print to them, but surely it is
>> possible?
>
> It is certainly possible - I do it at home.  I hate to resort to this
> shallow level of understanding in any explanation but the print
> configuration tool that comes with suse just allows you to specify a
> printer as a smb shared windows printer... then it just works.  Looking
> at printconf-gui on my redhat (fc1) box I see that it has the same
> capability - where you specify how the printer is connected.  So it
> seems pretty standard at least with recent distros - check your systems
> native (graphical) print administration tool as a first pass.

I have setup the correct parameters in Printconf, but when I try a test page I get
an error thst 'there was an error when connecting to the printer'.

I can ping both the W2000 machine and the NIC in the printer itself.

smbclient can list all the print shares on the server

There are no relevant messages in the logs that I can find.

--

Simon Bryan
IT Manager