[Lias] OpenOffice.org charting questions

Jonathon Coombes jon at cybersite.com.au
Thu Mar 11 10:12:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 11:15, Paul Gear wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> <Insert standard cross-posting apology here>
>
> Can anyone answer the following questions about OpenOffice.org charting?
>
> 1.  Is there a way to print only a chart, on a page by itself, rather
> than over the top of the normal spreadsheet grid?  The only option i
> can find that affects the way the chart prints (in Format->Page)
> doesn't allow the option of *not* printing the cell contents, nor
> making the chart fill the page.

This can be done partly by a combination of two steps:

a. Create the chart in a seperate sheet (see below).
b. Turn off the grid lines (Tools->Options->Spreadsheet->View)

> 2.  Is there a way to insert a chart object as a separate workbook
> page?  When i open an Excel spreadsheet with a chart that was created
> that way, it puts it on its own spreadsheet page as a little bitty
> chart object in the middle of a lot of blank cells.  And of course it
> prints correspondingly badly.

Yes there is. When you do the initial Insert->Chart, it
will bring up a dialog that asks for range etc. On the
right hand side of that dialog, it will ask which sheet
(or a new one) that you want to create the chart in.

> Much as it pains me to say this, Excel 97 runs rings around OOo in the
> charting department.  I just went to a Windows machine, inserted a
> chart in its own page, hit print, and it came out exactly as i wanted
> it.  Any suggestions?  I'm using OOo 1.0.2 on Red Hat Linux 9.

That is true at the moment. One of the main areas of redesign
in OOo 2.0 is the charting capabilities. In the mean time, it
will be a matter of trying to get what works.

Regards
Jonathon