[Lias] Can't initialise Network Cards

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Mar 1 11:15:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 09:42, Paul Gear wrote:
> > This is from the /var/log/messages file after an attempt at a manual restart:
> >
> > Mar  1 12:06:17 voyager kernel: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version
> > 5.2.30.1
> > Mar  1 12:06:17 voyager kernel: Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Intel Corporation.
> > Mar  1 12:06:17 voyager kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 01:05.0
> > Mar  1 12:06:17 voyager kernel: The EEPROM Checksum Is Not Valid
>
> That looks like your problem - the driver is refusing to load because
> the EEPROM checksum is invalid.  Have you flashed the BIOS/firmware on
> these cards at some time?  If not, you may want to see if it is
> possible to do so by downloading a boot floppy from Intel or your
> server manufacturer (try the latter first).
>
> More than likely the Windows drivers work because they don't check the
> checksum, or just treat it as a warning.

Alternately, maybe the Windows drivers have built-in firmware that's
downloaded to the cards at boot or used instead of the on-card firmware?
I know some other types of hardware does this, and wouldn't be surprised
if these NICs were capable of it.

Also - is it possible that the invalid checksum is actually because of
something else, like memory or I/O ranges assigned to the cards that
overlap something else? This is just a guess, I don't know if it's
actually possible.

How are the memory assignments, ioports and IRQs configured - ACPI
resource allocation, BIOS auto-configuration (non-PnP), or PnP
assignment? Does your board have an IO-APIC and if so, are you using it
(not that it'll really make a difference for memory range assignment,
but it's usually a good thing for other reasons).

What does 'lspci -vvv' say about IRQs, memory assignment, etc? Anything
interesting in /proc/iomem, /proc/interrupts or /proc/ioports?

I've attached my PCI-X e1000's lspci -vvv output for your reference.
It'd be mangled if included inline. I don't know if it's any use, but
just in case...

Craig Ringer