[Lias] Can't initialise Network Cards

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Fri Feb 27 13:23:12 UTC 2004

Hi,
I have an ongoing problem with getting some NICS' active in a Super
MicroPro rack server. We have three of these servers and only one (the
latest) gives any troubles.
SHORT HISTORY:
We installed RH9 on the server with no problems, both inbuilt NIC's worked
fine. SHortly after one of the NIC's seemed to fail.
We had the motherboard replaced and now I can't get either of the NIC's to
come up, in additojn I just installed a Realtek NIC in a slot and get the
same problem.
Using Gnome, the Hrdware browser can see all the nics, I assign them using
Network settings to eth0 eth1 eth2 (there are now three cards). Whenever I
try to activate them I get the message that:

device ethx does not seem to be present delaying initialization

The lights on the switch come on whenever I connect a cable, although only
the realtek shows lights on the server.

To confound it all, we tried W2K to check to see if it was Linux and the
NIC;s worked perfectly.

Any clues appreciated.

--

Simon Bryan