[Lias] User management problem

Tom Doyle tom at stvincents.nsw.edu.au
Mon May 5 13:46:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have just deleted a batch of users (all of them) from my new email server.
There was no errors and Webmin reported that all was well.

I am trying to add the users again and I get an error saying they users
already exist. Manually playing with userdel/add gives the following!:

[root at test etc]# /usr/sbin/useradd jonesl
useradd: user jonesl exists
[root at test etc]# /usr/sbin/userdel jonesl
userdel: error deleting password entry
userdel: error deleting shadow password entry
userdel: error removing group entry
userdel: error removing shadow group entry

I have checked the passwd, group, shadow, gshadow & shadow- files. I dont
know what the last file is but none of them have a jonesl entry or any other
of the users.

Only strange thing is that a select group of users seem to delete and add
just fine (about 10 out of 700).

No help on google either.

I hope someone can help me. Reply to list please.

cheers,
Tom.
Tom Doyle
Network Administrator