[Lias] EduWeb & e-Smith Servers

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Thu Feb 13 07:44:11 UTC 2003

At the meeting of our school's computer committee last night, two new
teachers waxed enthusiastically about a locally developed schools intranet
development called EduWeb (http://www.stgeorged.det.nsw.edu.au/eduweb/).

"It's based on Front Page!', said one, and I groaned.

"And you upload your pages to your e-Smith", she said, and my ears shot up.

Further discussion revealed that "all the schools in the Parramatta schools
district have e-Smith servers".

Does anyone know anything about this? Since e-Smith is now owned by Mitel,
it's become the core of the "Mitel Networks 6000 Managed Applications
Server". Is DET supplying these boxes to schools? Or did someone just use
the "Developer Release" which is GPL'ed?

Inquiring minds, and all that . . .

Best,

--- Les Bell, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]