[Lias] SAMBA and LDAP

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Mon Dec 8 12:23:28 UTC 2003

HI all,
Have been progressing slowly, but reasonably smoothly with my learning and
implementation of this setup. However I have hit a snag that I can't get around
sensibly.

I have OpenLDap running and Samba3 compiled with all the appropriate options. I have
created an LDAP database and modified the slapd.conf and checked the samba.schema to
ake sure it is the Samba3 version - (originally the wrong one was in the schema
directory).

I am ready to start adding machines to the domain, and tried to add the root passwd
to the smbpasswd using 'smbpasswd -a root', however I get the following error, the
attribute it wants is one of those commented out in the samba.schema under the
heading 'Historical', if you uncomment that oen then you get another error which
ultimatley means that you have to uncomment all the 'Historical' items. This does
not seem right, any clues as to what I may have done wrong?

ldapsam_modify_entry: Failed to add user dn= uid=sbryan,dc=olmc,dc=nsw,dc=edu,dc=au
with: Undefined attribute type
rid: attribute type undefined
ldapsam_add_sam_account: failed to modify/add user with uid = sbryan (dn =
uid=sbryan,dc=olmc,dc=nsw,dc=edu,dc=au)

--
Simon Bryan
IT Manager