[Lias] Open Source at the ALA convention

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Tue Jun 18 14:03:09 UTC 2002

At 10:00 AM 06/18/2002, ken_yap at users.sourceforge.net wrote:
>http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/06/17/1514234.shtml?tid=11

Yes, I spotted this. Did you also read that the star of the "How To
Automate Your Library For Under $1000" show, was University of Waikato, NZ
with their GPL product, Greenstone ?

Libraries are a little complicated in WA. From what I have found out so
far, they are under the jurisdiction of local govt, but there is LISWA as
an umbrella body. The local govt are responsible for providing the
services, and LISWA "suggest" how it may be done.

One of the things that is happening is a rollout of software for libraries
that hooks into council web sites so that you can check out what books are
available, when your books need to be returned, and so on.

Many libraries have a few computers that are set aside for "research", some
for general computing access such as word processing, and often a
slot-machine for email. Some of the more enlightened libraries allow a
computer to be used for free web based email.

This is a particular bug bear of mine, as it is many older people, or
should I say citizens of long-standing that use libraries, often only want
to use a computer (ubiquitous with Internet) to communicate with friends
and family. Older people do not want to hang out in cyber cafes, they want
to go to familiar places where they feel safe. Also, country centres have
much more access to technology that people in the metropolitan area due to
the telecentres.

The culture is different from library to library. To participate in Online
Week a couple of years ago, I did not use my local library, but travelled
up to Midland (40 minutes away) where they have a super library, friendly
staff that are helpful to visitors that wish to use computers and the Internet.

Many libraries that I go into don't seem to be for people that want to use
the library. I am beginning to think that if they are not places that a new
generation of people want to go, as we can find information elsewhere, i.e.
from our homes on the Internet, we won't need libraries :)

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)